Monthly Archives: January 2012

Why LED Light Bulbs?

Within the next few years, millions of people worldwide will find themselves replacing their old incandescent light bulbs or halogen light bulbs with new LED light bulbs. You might be asking why? Well there are a number of reasons for this. Not only are LED bulbs 90% more efficient than normal halogen bulbs, but they are also free of any harmful substances such as Mercury, meaning they can be recycled and thus are much safer for the environment.

LED light bulbs also have a much longer life expectancy, anything up to 50 thousand hours is not unheard of, meaning there are some long term cost savings, as you will no longer be required to replace those blown light bulbs as often.

Halogen light bulbs produce a lot of heat which is where most of the energy disappears to, so the money spent on your electricity bills is actually being spent on heating your room. LEDs produce very little heat and are much more energy efficient. It is common knowledge within the lighting industry that around 15% of the electricity consumed by a halogen light bulb is used to produce light, whereas the remaining 85% generates heat. LEDs convert 90% of the electricity to light.

LED bulbs can be used in any standard light bulb fitting as there is a huge range of replacement LED bulbs available; the most popular being GU10 LED bulbs. GU10 LED bulbs are the most common fitment found in UK houses and are quite a bit more expensive than halogen light bulbs or incandescent light bulbs, but if you look at the long term energy saving costs, they will soon pay for themselves.

There are always articles in the papers and news stories about global warning and reducing our carbon footprint. LED bulbs are a great way of helping the environment as less energy is required to light our homes which results in a reduction of CO2 emissions.

More information on LED light bulbs will follow soon… In the mean time, you might like to check out this LED Light Bulbs website, which contains more information on low energy light bulbs.